Vice President of Accounting/Controller
West Loop Chicago, IL 60606 US
Director of Finance & Accounting/Controller
The Director of Finance and Accounting/Controller is responsible for helping to prepare, analyze and manage the accounting and financial reporting for various family-owned entities, investment partnerships, charitable foundations, trusts and individual family members as directed by the Head of Family Office, to whom this position reports. This position is responsible for ensuring the accuracy of accounting and investment records and protection of assets by evaluating, monitoring, and enforcing internal controls.
The Director of Finance and Accounting/Controller must be able to rely on independent judgment and prior experience in supervising staff in a fast-paced environment where flexibility, adaptability, and attention to detail are required.
- Participate in the planned buildout of the family office initially learning the current legacy structure and operations while assisting with the setup of new systems and reporting.
- Evaluate alternative systems and procedures for accounting and financial reporting to establish “best practices” for the family office.?
- Oversee the timely and accurate preparation of financial and investment reports.
- Review new account documents, including bank, brokerage, loan documents, and subscription agreements.
- Review check payments, ACH transfers, and bank wires.
- Prepare ad hoc reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data.
- Prepare annual operating budget for family office.
- Supervise, train, and mentor staff.
- Maintain security by establishing and enforcing internal controls over cash and investment accounts.
- Prepare analysis and produce reports for family meetings and any foundation or other board/committee meetings.
- Provide cash management analysis and forecasting.
- Primary point of contact with outside tax preparer. Assist in information gathering and ensure recommended tax payments and filings are made on a timely basis.
- Review of all third-party prepared tax returns (Forms 1040, 1041 and 1065).
- Work closely with outside accountants, banks, investment custodians, insurance brokers/agents, third party administrators, attorneys, and systems service providers to achieve various objectives.
- Review legal documents for Principals, trusts, LLC’s and partnerships as needed.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance, CPA certification, 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Experience with one or more general ledger accounting and portfolio accounting systems preferred.
- Demonstrated client service mentality.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Ability to work within a team, manage projects within a tight timeframe, and simultaneously manage multiple assignments.
- Willingness to undertake additional responsibilities depending on office workflow.
- Unquestionable personal standards, confidentiality, and ethics.
- Family office experience, including administration of Lender/Bagel profits interest structure, is a plus.
- Experience with trusts in a family office capacity