Junior Property Accountant
One Penn Plaza, Suite 3905 New York, NY 10119
Senior Property Accountant
A real estate owner/operator in NYC is seeking a Senior Property Accountant who will report directly to the Controller and be part of a team handling all aspects of property accounting and reporting for a mixed portfolio of commercial and student housing properties.
As a key member of the accounting group, the Sr. Property Accountant will work closely with the Controller and Assistant Controller to support the effective maintenance of books and records, recording of transactions and accruals, and provide timely and accurate financial reporting to senior management to facilitate informed business decision making.
As our company continues to grow, the Sr. Property Accountant will also support new investments including acquisition due diligence on property accounting records, recording all closing transactions on the settlement statement, help facilitate financings or refinancings, and work with the Director of IT to transition seller’ s accounting and financial data and records to the company' s system.
- Assist with preparation of annual operating and capital budgets, and special project budgets working closely with Property Managers and Controller;
- Review year-end journal entries from outside accountants from tax returns and reconcile to the financial statements;
- Prepare monthly financial statements including balance sheet, profit and loss, and cash flow statements with supporting footnote disclosures;
- Prepare monthly and annual year-end workpapers for financials;
- Sales tax return preparation;
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliations;
- Monthly tenant billings;
- Review general ledger activity for completeness and accuracy;
- Prepare and record necessary monthly accruals and recurring journal entries;
- Prepare quarterly capex schedules, actual vs. budget;
- Prepare monthly payroll reconciliation for commercial property and management company;
- Assist with cash receipts;
- Work with the accounting software and its integrated property management component to facilitate the flow of financial and non-financial information into the system for each property;
- Prepare financial package(s) for lenders including operating statements, real estate owned schedules, and other schedules lenders may require;
- Special projects as needed.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Four year degree from an accredited university in accounting;
- Between 4 and 6 years of experience in property accounting;
- Experience working with MRI Accounting Software preferred;
- CPA and/or public accounting experience a plus;
- Self-motivated, self-directed and detailed oriented with ability to work without direct supervision;
- Desire to grow through career advancement displaying solid management abilities to lead and train future junior level employees;
- Has ambition to grow and take on more responsibilities;
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to effectively communicate with direct supervisor and others;
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel.