Senior Director, Finance
750 3RD AVE. , 16TH FL. NEW YORK, NY 10017 US
Senior Director, Finance
The Senior Director, Finance is responsible for the core financial and accounting processes for the company.
Working hand in hand with the International Managing Director, the candidate is responsible in budgeting, forecasting and general financial reporting but also provides detailed analytics on the profitability of exhibitions, art fairs, publications and major sales.
Besides financial topics, the candidate will also provide support to the IMD on general management topics, on highlighting financial consequences of strategic decisions and in managing profitability targets.
The candidate will report to the International Managing Director, and will work in very close collaboration with the Founders and the senior management team.
- Oversee all financial aspects and accounting functions both domestically and internationally. Liaise with international teams in Asia and Europe to ensure accurate and timely reporting.
- Play an integral role in the development and execution of long-term financial strategies, contributing to the overall growth and sustainability of the gallery's financial health.
- Optimize accounting processes and procedures in accordance with GAAP and controlling regulations.
- Analyze financial statements and prepare reports detailing financial performance and potential areas for improvement.
- Create and maintain budget and forecast models; strategically allocating resources for exhibitions and events; produce comprehensive budget, forecast and cash-flow reports for ownership.
- Manage all AP/AR and ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Approve all invoices and financial transactions ensuring adherence to the gallery's financial strategies and budgets.
- Manage sales tax worksheets and filings; track all sales for sales tax compliance and ensure all sales are recorded in a timely manner.
- Provide ownership with timely and accurate financial reports and recommendations.
- Perform analysis to identify sales trends and opportunities, and monitor key performance indicators (KPIs).
- Analyze year-over-year budget variances, identify key growth areas of savings and support implementation.
- Collaborate to develop financial plans for promotional opportunities, ensuring cost-effectiveness and maximum return on investment.
- Generate up-to-date reports on artist statements, commissions of sales team, schedule of consignments payable and accounts receivable.
- Process and administer payroll and benefits, maintain employee data and recordkeeping with the support of the IMD, Accounting Manager and outside payroll administrator.
- Responsible for the calculation and processing of sales team commissions and ensuring these are factored into the payroll calculations.
- Stay current with industry trends and best practices in financial management and integrate relevant strategies into the gallery's financial operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or a related field
- 10+ years of experience in accounting and financial management
- Luxury retail industry experience is required; gallery experience preferred
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and analysis, including budgeting, forecasting, cash flow management and cost-saving strategies
- Experience with foreign currency transactions (Europe and/or Asia strongly preferred)
- Proficiency in computer-based accounting systems, MS Office and financial management software
- Detailed oriented with strong organizational and analytical skills
- Capable of prioritizing and executing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex information to diverse audiences.
- Flexible, willing and capable to adapt to various personalities or situations