SVP, Development & Construction
One Penn Plaza, Suite 3905 New York, NY 10022
Senior Vice President, Development & Construction
The successful candidate will lead and manage the pre-construction, value engineering, and construction processes and advise ownership on a multitude of construction issues for mixed-use real estate development projects. This position will report to the CEO and will be based in New York City.
- Lead and manage development and construction for residential projects from the initiation of a project to design, development and construction. This includes construction oversight and management of scheduling, budgeting and communication, ensuring completion within required timeframes and budgets.
- Oversee and manage the pre-development process, due diligence and planning, budgeting and financial projections, zoning and entitlements, permits and jurisdictional approvals.
- Assist the Managing Principal(s) in the selection of consultants, architects and contractors and assume the responsibility of fully negotiating contracts and creating internal procedures to ensure third parties are in conformance with agreements.
- Commence projects by coordinating the project team, defining project scope and detail project plan/budgets.
- Provide assumptions and guidance to the Managing Principal(s) in underwriting the hard costs associated with ground-up or conversion projects.
- Coordinate the effort to secure construction related permits and licenses.
- Analyze, critique, and verify the pre-construction estimates and schedules during the pre-development phases.
- Responsible for maintaining construction budgets and schedules; track all project costs, approve contractor requests for payment and mitigate liabilities such as construction liens and insurance claims.
- Direct and manage the construction manager, general contractor, and/or on-site construction personnel during the construction process.
- Conduct regular site visits to ensure contractors and project managers are performing a high quality of work in accordance with plans and schedules, adhering to site safety regulations, and are prepared to work from project site for extended periods of time.
- Advise ownership on cost estimates, methods, and trends regarding material and labor issues.
- Monitor and administer all release of funds to contractors and vendors.
- Standardize and refine construction contract documents, bid forms, closeout standards, and all other pertinent documentation.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual construction reports for use within investor updates.
- Research code and zoning changes on a regular basis to confirm plans and projects are in conformance with New York City building code, fire code and zoning regulations, if applicable.
- Perform all necessary project " close-out" duties.
- Direct the implementation of safety and risk management provisions including insurance coverages.
- Identify and advise ownership on construction risk factors, insurance issues (OCIP, CCIP, etc.), contract issues, and related technical issues (MEP systems, structural systems, logistics strategies).
- Analyze and verify monthly construction requisitions and coordinate with lenders.
- Aid accounting team in obtaining construction loans.
- Assist the ownership with the due diligence and analysis of potential new development deals in New York City with particular emphasis constructability and cost issues.
- Oversee and mentor a team of project managers to either oversee individual projects or assist on several development deals.
- 15 or more years of related experience managing residential/development projects in New York City, with an owner/developer, general contractor or construction manager.
- Thorough understanding of the development, design and construction management process including costing and estimating, as well as the ability to assist in selecting and managing design consultants and engineers, general contractors/construction managers and subcontractors.
- Extensive experience with construction documents, redlining plans and preparation of scope for bid documentation.
- Understanding of development process and expertise in local real estate market including New York City agencies (DOB, DOT, DEP) and zoning laws.
- Experience in hiring and working with construction estimators. Ability to interpret and manage the value-engineering process. Responsible for costing/estimating.
- Effective contract negotiation skills.
- Experience in hiring and working with construction estimators. Ability to interpret and manage the value-engineering process.
- Proven ability to complete projects on time and on budget.
- Ability to read, understand, and critique technical architecture and engineering drawings and specifications.