One Penn Plaza, Suite 3905 New York, NY 10119
- Oversee the accounting and treasury functions, including general ledger, A/P, A/R, fixed asset accounting, cash management and relevant systems used for these functions.
- Lead by example in managing team of accounting professionals driving results through the use of data, direct feedback and strong accountability in a supportive and learning environment that fosters high staff engagement.
- Set the bar for customer service excellence by providing timely, thorough and friendly responses to internal and external stakeholder inquiries.
- Provide guidance to leadership on accounting policies and cash management to support strategic and operating decisions.
- Manage annual audits for all entities, including liaising with auditors, preparation and/or review of audit materials and schedules, coordinating scheduling for field work and meetings, and managing deliverable deadlines with internal contributors and auditors.
- Coordinate with auditors to produce and file annual IRS Form 990s and NYS CHAR500s.
- Ensure compliance with all government and private grant requirements.
- Prepare timely and accurate financial reports to senior leaders and external stakeholders to support timely decision-making, grant applications and reporting.
- Perform periodic internal audits of accounting transactions and procedures to ensure quality control over financial data.
- Develop, implement and maintain strong accounting process and control systems ensuring compliance with GAAP, the Internal Revenue Code, FASB, NY State fiscal policies for charter schools, and other applicable state and federal laws.
- Review transaction entries made by accounting staff for accuracy and alignment with relevant fiscal policies.
- Create and maintain accurate documentation of accounting policies and procedures.
- Provide accounting-related technical solutions that facilitate compliance and ease-of-use for end users and accounting staff. This may include evaluation and/or implementation of systems and providing training to accounting and other staff.
- Zest, grit, self-control, hope, love, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor J.
- Outstanding organizational skills and high attention to detail; strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Extreme flexibility, with a strong work ethic and an entrepreneurial spirit to accommodate high level of responsibility and multiple priorities.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience in non-profit accounting with at least 5 years leading a diverse team.
- Extensive knowledge of GAAP and current accounting best practices, including upcoming regulatory changes to reporting requirements
- Advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software. Proficiency in Abila MIP accounting software preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office required, with advanced skills in Excel (pivot tables, vlookups, if statements)
- BA/BS or MS in Accounting or related field required; CPA or MBA strongly preferred.