Controller - Family Office
111 Great Neck Road, Suite 416 Great Neck, NY 11021 US
Controller – Family Office
New York-based family office with real estate holdings and investment activities is seeking a Controller with a clear path to CFO.
- Overseeing the staff of the NY Office and implementing and enhancing new accounting systems.
- Providing fiduciary oversight
- Supporting sound internal financial decision making
- Providing family members with financial support
- Ensuring the effective administration of various family trusts and provide assistance, as necessary, to the family trustees.
Accounting, Tax and Cash Management
- Establish, implement and enhance accounting systems, internal controls and procedures
- Ensure timeliness, accuracy, and usefulness of financial and management reporting
- Oversee and prepare tax workpapers for the preparation of various tax returns
- With the assistance of outside tax advisors, manage tax planning, compliance, and timely and accurate filing of all tax returns (C and S Corps; Limited Liability Companies; Partnerships; Trusts and Foundations; individual family members)
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance regarding all financial functions
- Oversee the management of real estate holdings
- Oversee the preparation of budgets, as needed
- Oversee payroll and health and benefit plans.
- Support decision making with practical and rigorous analytics.
- Oversee the reconciliation of funds managed by outside advisors.
Financial Planning and Analysis
Oversee and collaborate with senior investment advisors who will:
- Work with the family’s Investment Committee to create an investment portfolio that optimizes returns and risks by incorporating financial objectives, tax consequences and time horizons
- Ensure accurate input into the family’s Investment Committee’s deliberations in managing passive and active investment decisions
- Provide economic due diligence of prospective private equity and venture deals
- Structure new and ongoing deals
- Work closely with the family’s Investment Committee to help implement investment policies and asset allocation models, analyze investment opportunities, monitor investment performance, and oversee external investment managers
Wealth Management, Tax Planning, Risk Management, Investment Stewardship
- Drive efficient and effective income and estate tax planning by partnering with accountants, tax advisors, insurance brokers and estate attorneys.
- Manage the process to develop and implement tax-efficient wealth transfer strategies, including trust and entity design
- Oversee the insurance program for the family and their underlying real estate assets
- Support financings and financial operations related to real estate holdings and mezzanine debt
- A background based in accounting and tax and at least 10 years of experience that will include public accounting, preferably with a large or regionally recognized CPA firm
- CPA a plus. Experience reconciling reports prepared by private money managers utilizing various investment strategies.
- Minimum of 5 years in a senior management position working for a mid-sized family office with real estate and other investment holdings
- Prior exposure to tax issues associated with Limited Liability Companies; Real Estate Partnerships; Trusts and Foundations
- General knowledge of taxation related to personal income tax, trusts and estates, gift tax, and wealth retention strategies
- Experience working directly with family members, senior management, and various outside advisors
- Experience managing teams of people with the ability to mentor, motivate, and train staff
- IT infrastructure and computer/software knowledge a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills