One Penn Plaza, Suite 3905 New York, NY 10119
Reporting to the CFO, the Accounting Manager will be responsible for all day-to-day of accounting functions. This position will provide business and financial support to a group of high growth business units focused on the B-to-B media travel industry. Primary responsibilities include management of the monthly close process, including budget to actual variance analysis and preparation of the monthly financial reporting. The position will directly supervise the Accounting teams in New Jersey, China and Singapore. Additional responsibilities include supervision of the following areas: customer invoicing/order entry and accounts receivable. This position will be the primarily liaison with the external accountants and lead the year-end audit. The Accounting Manager will also be part of a team that creates and implements policies and procedures to identify, resolve and document accounting issues in addition to creating procedures to make the close and reporting processes more efficient and accurate.
- Ensure timely and accurate preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements of the company, including working with the Corporate Controller and Vice President, Financial Planning & Analysis to prepare budget to actual variance analysis.
- Supervise team to ensure that month-end close process is adhered to in a timely fashion, which allows for sufficient review time
- Review all month-end balance sheet analysis to ensure completeness and accuracy
- Review all month-end commission calculations and payment requirements to confirm accuracy
- Oversee the activities of Accounts Receivable function, including cash receipts, ensuring the timely processing of cash applications, billing adjustments, credit card processing, etc. Review AR aging and supervise the Collection team to ensure productivity and assist in customer payment matters.
- Supervise Finance Managers in China and Singapore, ensuring the consistent financial discipline with US operations.
- Implement, document and maintain adequate and effective internal control processes to improve the close and reporting cycles to ensure timely and accurate reporting.
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles “ GAAP”, as well as, all applicable laws, rules, and regulations.
- Establish and maintain systems and controls that verify the integrity of all systems, processes and data, and enhance the company' s value.
- Lead year-end audit process for all global entities: Northstar US, Northstar China and Northstar Singapore.
- Work with Corporate Controller to oversee federal, state and local tax matters, ensuring compliance with tax laws and timely preparation of all related tax filings. Work with external tax advisors, KPMG, to ensure the Company is compliant.
- Play a key role to identify where Netsuite can create efficiencies through process improvements and leveraging technology.
- Leadership and people-management, including staffing and performance management.
- Analyze performance and make fact-based recommendations to improve profitability/ROI, operating efficiency and effectiveness. Ability to identify critical issues and trends and communicate them effectively.
- Ad-hoc reporting and analysis to help support the business operating units.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Related Work Experience:
- 5-7 years of accounting experience required, including at least 3 years’ experience managing an accounting team
- Proven track record of career progression and taking on more responsibilities effectively and quickly
- Experience in B-B Media (print, digital events) industry experience strongly preferred
- Experience in public accounting (preferred)
- International accounting experience, particularly in China & Singapore a plus
- General ledger accounting system implementation and integration - a strong plus
- Ability to lead, supervise and guide a team in a faced paced environment
- Highest standard for integrity, accuracy and meeting deadlines
- Fully proficient in Netsuite (required); Adaptive Reporting tool experience (preferred)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite of products; advanced knowledge of Excel (Macros, Pivot Tables etc.).
- Ability to design reports which present information in a concise manner for use by top management in decision making.
- Strong technical and practical knowledge of GAAP accounting and familiarity with three statement model.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and strong track record of identifying process improvement with automation methods to create efficiency
- Self-motivated and highly-driven with the willingness to go the extra mile when needed; excellent time management skills.
- A fast learner who’ s able to pick up new processes with minimal training and take initiative to resolve problems.
- A detail-oriented, responsible, organized, dependable and professional individual who is dedicated to learning and growing
- Exposure to computerized interchange systems (ACH, Online Merchant Banking applications) (preferred)
- Experience with corporate tax filings and reporting (preferred)
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with both outside and inside contacts
- Ability to multi-task and effectively manage with limited resources
- Bachelor’ s degree in Accounting or Finance, MBA